Changes at The Mother Church
September 2, 2010: The Church announces the following changes in the management of the publishing of Mary Baker Eddy’s writings, changes in the management of Christian Science Bible Lessons and General Publications, and consolidation of manufacturing, marketing, communications, and other publishing support services.
Publishing Mary Baker Eddy’s Writings
Central to the vision for the future of the Christian Science movement is the continued publishing of Mrs. Eddy’s writings, primarily, of course, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures. Several changes are being made to refocus our attention on the central role Mrs. Eddy’s writings play in fulfilling the healing mission of this Church.
- Jen McLaughlin, C.S., has been appointed Publisher’s Agent for Mary Baker Eddy’s writings, effective September 13. In reestablishing the position of Publisher’s Agent, we envision the close working relationship between the Publisher (the Christian Science Board of Directors) and its agent that existed for many years in the early days of our Movement. Jen will be responsible for the prayerful and professional shepherding of the publishing process of these writings in multiple languages worldwide.
- A variety of other publishing support services previously staffed within The Writings of Mary Baker Eddy—manufacturing, customer services, fulfillment, and marketing support—will be centralized within existing departments in The Christian Science Publishing Society. The Office of the Publisher’s Agent will retain complete strategic and artistic oversight, as well as final sign-off and approval, according to the Publisher’s guidance. The job of the marketing and production/manufacturing departments will be to work collaboratively with the Publisher’s Agent to execute the Publisher’s vision until the products and marketing materials are satisfactory to the Publisher’s Agent.
- Customer support of Concord will be handled by the TSG Help Desk.
- Remaining current staff will continue in their existing roles.
Publishing the Christian Science Bible Lessons and other General Publications
Two changes will occur within the management structure of The Christian Science Publishing Society to best support the vision for the vital role of the Christian Science Bible Lesson Products and the General Publications of the Publishing Society.
- Christian Harder will serve as Manager of Bible Lesson Products, reporting to the Trustees of the Publishing Society, effective September 13.
Posted: September 2, 2010 | 3:14 pm
- Phebe Bergenheim will continue as Manager, General Publications, and will report to John Sparkman, Managing Publisher of Journal, Sentinel, Herald, also effective September 13.